1950 Establishment of first Augustinian novitiate in Australia at Whinstanes, Brisbane. First novice master was David Brimson and the first two novices were Gerald Dullard and Patrick Fahey.
1952 The Australian Province of the Augustinians was established under the patronage of Mary, Mother of Good Counsel. Thomas Hunt was elected first Provincial. He later served in Rome as the first member of the Australian Province to be elected an Assistant General of the Order. (Photo at right: Villanova in 1956.)
Augustinians assume pastoral responsibility for St James' Parish, Coorparoo. Together with the parish was the chaplaincy for what became the Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane. Augustinians served in this chaplaincy until 2000.
The first foundation of the Order in Sydney - St Kieran's Parish, Manly Vale, Sydney, now enlarged into the Parish of North Harbour.
1955 Transfer of novitiate to Rochester, Victoria
(Photo below:) Brookvale in 1956. (L to R): Thomas Hunt OSA, Cardinal Gilroy and David Brimson OSA at Brookvale in 1956.
1956 Foundation of Saint Augustine's College, Brookvale, Sydney
1958 Richard Benignus (Ben) O'Donnell osa elected Provincial.
1964 John Louis Hanrahan osa elected Provincial. A tireless worker, ill health forced him to resign as Provincial in 1969.
1969 Augustinian College, Clayfield was established as a residential house of studies. From here Augustinian candidates pursued secular studies and philosophical studies. Theological studies took place overseas.
1970 John Barry osa was the first Australian born Augustinian to be elected as Provincial.
Brian Fitzpatrick osa became the first Australian-born Augustinian whose ordination took place in Australia. Brian was ordained in his home parish of Echuca, Victoria.
1976 The Augustinians took pastoral responsibility for the parish of St Joseph's, South Yarra. Thus the Order made a commitment to the Archdiocese (Melbourne) of which James Goold osa was the first bishop. Together with the parish was the chaplaincy of the Alfred Hospital.
1977 No 60 Federal Parade Brookvale (attached to St Augustine's Priory) was established as a novitiate and formation house.
1978 Ralph Cameron osa elected Provincial.